Terminating Parental Rights

Being a parent is difficult enough when the other parent is active and present. Unfortunately, many parents are left to raise their children on their own. If that is you, you know just how challenging this can be. If you have considered attempting to terminate the parental rights of your former spouse or partner, here are some instances in which you might be able to do so:

  • By consent of the other parent. In some cases, the other parent simply wishes to not be involved, and you would rather them be out of your lives altogether. If the other parent gives a voluntary, written consent, the child is at least 2 days old, and the Court finds it is in the best interest of the child to terminate that parent’s rights, the termination can be done by consent.
  • Abandonment of a child. When the other parent disappears completely, you do not have to wait for them to show back up to initiate termination proceedings. If the parent has provided no support, no visits, and no communication for a period lasting longer than 6 months (or less if the child is an infant), the Court might grant your wish to terminate their rights.
  • Abuse or neglect of a child. Courts take child abuse and neglect very seriously. If your child’s other parent severely or continuously abuses or neglects them, has mental conditions that cause abusive or neglectful behavior towards the child, or has a chemical dependency that creates abusive or neglectful behavior towards the child, consider attempting to terminate their rights.
  • Crimes against children. If a parent has committed murder or manslaughter of any child, conflicted felonious assault against any child resulting in serious bodily injury, or attempted or conspired to do one of those things, the Court may terminate the rights of that parent.
  • Sexual crimes against children. If a parent has been found guilty of committing sexual crimes against any child, the Court very well might terminate the rights of that parent.


Does one of these instances apply to you and your children?

If your children are subject to any of the circumstances discussed above, call RS Law to speak with an attorney.

For a free consultation, contact RS Law online or call (816) 287-8080.

By | 2021-12-11T01:40:03+00:00 December 10th, 2021|Categories: Family Law|0 Comments

About the Author: