Subrogation 2017-09-13T04:03:31+00:00


Subrogation, in relation to personal injury claims, is complicated in the state of Kansas and yet another reason to have RS Law as your personal injury attorney.

Along with liability coverage on your own car, you have coverage to pay for medical bills that were incurred as a result of an auto accident called PIP benefits.  If that auto accident was the fault of another person, your car’s PIP insurance carrier wants to be reimbursed for the medical bills they paid on your behalf when you receive a settlement from the responsible party.  This repayment requirement is called subrogation.

Some health insurance companies will require repayment for the medical bills they pay as a result of an accident that was the fault of another person when that person pays you a settlement for your damages.  This repayment requirement is called subrogation.  When it comes to health insurance subrogation, Kansas is primarily against allowing health insurance companies to subrogate however there are exceptions.  Medicaid, Medicare and ERISA health insurance are examples of health insurance that would require repayment from any settlement received.   There are some other instances where you may have a contractual agreement with your health insurance provider to allow them to be reimbursed in this situation as well.

Contact RS Law to review the subrogation requirements in your personal injury situation.